Sonia graduated from the University of Kent in 1994. She has practised at Azman Davidson & Co since being called to the Malaysian Bar in 1997 and was made Partner in 2005.
- Sonia’s experience in general litigation and Arbitration for 10 years before specializing in Employment Law has deepened her capacity to advise clients from different fields and industries on employment matters
- Was invited by the National Cancer Society Malaysia to deliver a presentation on Employee Rights and How to Transition to Working life after cancer at a breast cancer forum for patients and survivors of breast cancer
- Has been invited by several clients to conduct in-house training on dealing with sexual harassment in the workplace
Sonia handles matters involving Industrial Relations & Employment law. Her experience includes the following:
- Represented companies against claims filed by employees for reinstatement arising from dismissal, sexual harassment, constructive dismissal, retrenchment and force resignation
- Represented companies in trade disputes pertaining to collective bargaining
- Represented companies in judicial review proceedings in the High Court and Appeals in the Court of Appeal
- Advised companies on a retrenchment exercise, voluntary separation scheme and mutual separation including calculating severance benefits. Drafted legal documentation including general memos, retrenchment notices, VSS package documents, mutual separation agreement and talking points for management. Also provided training to managers on communication and counselling employees.
- Advised companies on the disciplinary proceedings to dismiss an employee including carrying on an investigation and conducting a domestic inquiry dismissal. Drafted legal documentation including Suspension notices, Show Cause notices, Charges and Notice of Domestic Inquiry and Termination Notice.
- Advised companies in mergers and acquisitions, and takeovers on employment-related issues, including retention of key personnel and the due diligence exercise. Drafted all documentation including announcements, retention bonus schemes, personal data protection notices and consent forms.
- Advised companies on the closure of foreign companies in Malaysia and drafted all documentation.
- Advised companies on implementing a performance improvement plan (PIP) and drafted all documentation.
- Advised companies on trade disputes including recognition and collective bargaining, and drafted a collective agreement
- Drafted and reviewed employment contracts, employee handbook and policies and processes for companies.
- Chevening Scholar from 1991 – 1994
- Member of the Industrial Court Practice Committee of the Bar Council from 2009 –present
- Member of the Human Resources and Home Affairs Committee of the Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce & Industry (MICCI) from 2008 – present
- +603 2164 0200
ext no. 148
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Industrial Relations
- LLB (Hons) (Kent) (1994)
- Certificate in Legal Practice (1996)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1997)