Karen Ng Gek Suan
Karen was called to the Malaysian Bar in 2007. She joined Azman Davidson & Co in August 2012.
Karen’s focus is on building and construction law. Her experiences include the following:
- She has advised on contentious and non-contentious building and construction matters both in domestic as well as international settings.
- Advised on contentious matters which consist mainly of representation of clients in construction litigation matters in Court as well as arbitration proceedings conducted under the ICC, UNCITRAL, KLRCA, SIAC, PAM and SIA arbitration rules.
- Advised on building & construction agreements, consultancy/management agreements and bespoke contracts.
- Acted as Lead Counsel for a contractor in an arbitration matter involving an event facility/building project in Malaysia.
- Acted as co-counsel for a joint-venture party in an arbitration matter involving a development of a transport hub project in Malaysia.
- Acted as co-counsel in an arbitration for a contractor in a construction dispute involving a prominent shopping complex in Singapore.
- Acted as co-counsel in an arbitration for a contractor involving a construction dispute of a gazetted conservatory project in Singapore.
- Acted as co-counsel in an arbitration involving commercial disputes between a Thai public listed company and a company registered in Hong Kong.
- Acted as co-counsel in an arbitration on a commercial/joint-venture dispute between an Asian government-owned company and a British New Virgin company.
- Acted as junior counsel in an arbitration on a construction dispute in relation to works in the Prime Minister’s Office and Prime Minister’s Residence, Malaysia.
- Acted as junior counsel in an arbitration involving a marine terminal facilities project management dispute in Sudan.
- Acted as junior counsel for a contractor in an arbitration of a construction dispute involving a highway project in Malaysia.
- Acted as junior counsel for a contractor in an arbitration of a construction dispute involving a shopping complex at Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.
- Advised on a contract for construction of golf specifics and irrigation lake project in Vietnam.
- Advised on contract for a full turnkey EPC contract of an integrated power generation project in Singapore.
- Advised on consultancy contract of a MRT block for a restructured building in Singapore.
- Also involved in representations of clients in an array of arbitration related applications before Courts, including stay of proceedings, setting aside and enforcement of arbitration awards (under Arbitration Act 2005) and Adjudication Decisions (under CIPAA).
- +603 2164 0200
ext no. 115
Areas of Practice
- Construction Law
- LLB (Hons) (Northumbria) (2005)
- LLM (Northumbria) (2006)
- Barrister-at-Law, Lincoln’s Inn (2006)
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2007)
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Singapore (2010-July 2012)
- Past Deputy President, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb) (Jun 2017- Jun 2019)
- Fellow, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb)
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb)
- Panel Adjudicator, Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Panel Mediator, Malaysia Mediation Centre (MMC)