Rajendra Navaratnam is a lawyer who obtained his first degree in Electrical Engineering and started his career as an Engineer in the Power industry. He has worked in wide and various capacities in the then National Electricity Board of Malaysia, ranging from construction and maintenance of high voltage transmission lines and substations, test and instrument functions, culminating in managing international procurement contracts, for about 10 years before he retrained in law and started his legal career with Azman Davidson and Co in 1988 which has a major construction/arbitration practice. He became a Partner in 1993.
- Having the privilege of helping to get recourse for the inhabitants of Highland Towers, who lost their homes when the tower blocks collapsed.
- Being invited to sit as Malaysia’s member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
- Helping various deserving cases pro bono, including defending an impecunious chess coach in a defamation suit, helping old family friends from losing their family home of 40 years and defending one of 6 co-accused in a murder trial for Legal Aid.
Rajendra practises primarily in the areas of construction law and insurance in litigation, arbitration, advisory and transactional work, as well as in intellectual property litigation.
The matters Rajendra has handled include the following:
- Sat as arbitrator in international and domestic arbitrations involving, construction law, insurance and trade disputes.
- Acted as counsel in the Court of Appeal and the Federal Court.
- Acted for and advised employers, contractors and sub-contractors on construction issues, and mainly Insurers on insurance claims with technical content.
- Acted for employers and contractors in various arbitrations and court suits involving delay, extension of time, liquidated damages, value of work done, defects, termination of contract, valuations, prolongation and disruption claims, etc.
- Advised and acted for insurers on insurance claims involving contractor’s all risk, professional indemnity, industrial all risk, machinery breakdown, business interruption policies, in particular those with technical content.
- Advised on draft standard conditions of contracts for construction works.
- Drafted and vetted main contracts, sub-contracts and consultancy agreements of construction projects.
- Resolution of contractual disputes and claims with foreign and domestic contractors.
- Conducted major tort litigation.
- Advised on intellectual property matters and conducted intellectual property litigation.
- +603 2164 0200
ext no. 138
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- BSc (Hons) Electrical Engineering (UMIST) (1974)
- LLB (Hons) (Buckingham) (1986)
- Barrister at Law, Middle Temple (1987)
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1988)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Brunei (1999)
- FCIArb(2000), Chartered Arbitrator(2007)
- Registered Patent Agent(2012)