Elaine Law was called to the Malaysian Bar in September 2003. She commenced legal practice in another mid-sized firm in Kuala Lumpur in the litigation department, where she handled the litigation portfolio. She then made a switch to corporate and commercial practice and joined Azman Davidson & Co in January 2007. Elaine was made Partner in January, 2012.
Participated as a contributor/author to the Private M&A (corporate module) for the Lexis Practical Guidance Malaysia (2017)
Started practice in litigation for 3 years before moving to corporate and commercial. The experience enhanced Elaine’s analytical skills and her ability to anticipate issues when drafting contracts for clients.
Elaine’s focus is Corporate and Commercial Law. Her areas of practice encompass acquisition exercises, capital markets in Malaysia, joint ventures and various aspects of corporate and commercial advisory work for both private companies and public listed companies.
She has also advised on competition law, intellectual property law, personal data protection law and on matters relating to telecommunication laws and regulations in Malaysia.
- Advised on a joint venture agreement for design, build and lease of an international school in Kuala Lumpur
- Advised on a collaboration agreement for ‘cost-sharing’ construction of roads in Nusajaya
- Advised companies in the oil and gas industry, and other industries, on joint venture agreements and shareholder agreements
- Advised an agriculture company on a joint venture agreement with a State-owned company to develop agricultural land
- Advised and conducted legal due diligence review work in respect of a proposed acquisition of rights and interests in an independent power producer in Malaysia
- Advised on a pre-bid consortium agreement in respect of submission of bid for a power plant project in Malaysia
- Advised on operations and maintenance agreement in respect of a waste incineration power plant
- Advised on supply and distribution of goods, including automobile parts and accessories
- Advised and conducted legal due diligence review in connection with listing of companies on the Main Market and ACE Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad, and other fundraising exercises by public listed companies
- Advised and conducted legal due diligence review in connection with acquisition of companies
- Advised on and prepared applications for capital reduction exercise
- Involved in advisory services and in the preparation of agreements in relation to the implementation of mobile number portability in Malaysia
- Elaine is a member of the Bar Council Personal Data Protection Ad-Hoc Committee and participated in the drafting of the Code of Practice for the legal profession.
- She has given talks for the Continuing Legal Education (CLE) programme organised within the firm. The topics are as follows:
- Principles of Personal Data Protection Act 2010
- Overview of the Malaysian Competition Act
- Overview of the legal due diligence process in acquisition exercise.
- +603 2164 0200
ext no. 261
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Commercial
- Intellectual Property
- Personal Data Protection Law
- LLB (Hons) (Leicester) (2000)
- LLM (International Commercial Law) (Leicester) (2002)
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2003)